Let's Get Down to Business
This page includes a full list of the rules and policies that I follow when doing business, including information on important topics like returns, pricing, custom orders, and copyrights. You don't necessarily need to read all this to do business with me. I try to keep thing casual. But if something comes up these are the rules I will be following, so there are no surprises.
If you have any questions or concerns about any of this feel free to contact me about it.
If you have any questions or concerns about any of this feel free to contact me about it.
My Products Are…
- HANDMADE - All the hats and felted accessories for sale on this website are handmade by me. I use resources (such as wool and soap) that are as responsibly sourced and as ecologically friendly as possible.
- RESPONSIBLE - I check to make sure that all my wool comes from responsible sources. For anyone worried about animal cruelty please understand that shearing sheep, when done properly, is essential for the animal's health. (Also keep in mind that synthetic fibers cannot be felted.)
My Content Is…
- MY PROPERTY - All of the photos I use have been taken by me (or my husband), feature me or a friend as the model, feature products that I have created or otherwise purchased, and are taken in public spaces. These photos are copyrighted. You can distribute them as long as they are not altered (by putting your text or branding on it or repurposing it as a "stock photo" for example) and that they link back to my shop or at least one of my social media platforms. Just don't download them and try to sell them as postcards or whatever like some people have done. Not cool.
- CAREFULLY CREDITED - When other people take the photos (such as my friend from TLJOnline) or when they feature other models or special things such as face paints (by another friend, BohemianMonkey), I always try to credit those sources. Let me know if I missed something!
- CAREFULLY BORROWED - Graphics and fonts that I don't make myself are distributed in the public domain, feature some form of free-use licensing, or are otherwise legal to use. I try to be really careful not to step on anyone's toes but if I have violated your copyright I am very sorry and please know it was completely accidental. Just let me know and I will take down the offending content right away.
What to Expect When You Buy
- TIMING - After I receive and clear your payment it will take 2-8 weeks to make your hat and ship it to you. I know this is a big range of time for such a large purchase, but there are several factors that impact how long it takes to ship a hat. Ordering supplies can sometimes be trick, the actual process of making the hat is time consuming, and there may be several other orders ahead of you (my workshop can only accommodate one project at a time). If you need your hat by a specific date please let me know as soon as possible so I can work with you and get it to you when you need it. Last minute orders for an event or a holiday (such as Halloween) are not a good idea.
- HAT HEALTH - My hats require special care to maintain their shape. Please refer to the hat care instructions page for more details. But even with the best of care your hat may lose some of its shape anyway. Don't worry though. I offer a free re-blocking service so that if you send your hat to me I will re-shape it and spray new shellac on it for free whenever you like. All you need to do is pay for shipping.
Tutorial Use Policy
- PERSONAL USE - You can buy and use my tutorials to make items for yourselves as well as gifts. But these tutorials are not to be used for any commercial purposes.
- MAKING SOMETHING NEW - Of course you can use what you learn to make and sell your own unique items just as long as the things you make and sell look nothing like the things I make and sell. Sharing and inspiring is always great, but just ripping stuff off to try and make a little cash is just petty (and in this case it is wrongful use of my tutorials).
- ELECTRONIC GOODS - My tutorials are all electronic goods. That means that when you buy a tutorial you will be given special instructions on how to download the file or files of that tutorial. Generally they are PDF files which work well on most electronic devices. But I can make no guarantee that they will work on your device because of the variety of devices out there.
- WHERE YOU GET THEM - The platform that you buy your tutorial from (such as Etsy or this shop site which is based on the Weebly platform) is responsible for the actual distribution of the tutorial files. I do not send the files manually. When you buy a tutorial from this site or Etsy (or wherever) you will automatically get an e-mail with information on how to download the files.
- NO REFUNDS - Because these are digital goods which can be downloaded, and because I use no form of Data Rights Management (DRM) I cannot offer a refund on your tutorial purchase for any reason.
The New Payment Plan Program
- INTRODUCTION - After numerous requests from customers to work out some kind of a payment plan I've decided to offer payment plans to anyone who wants them. With a payment plan you can make several smaller and more manageable payments instead of one large payment to buy a hat. The payment plan service is only available on my website (not on Etsy or other platforms). Head over to the payment plan page for specifics on how it works.
- NO FEES, NO INTEREST - This is a courtesy service for any customers who may need it. There are no fees or interest to be paid. You don't have to sign up for a line of credit or something ridiculous. No hidden surprises or strings attached. This is just an easier way to reserve and buy the hat of your dreams.
- REFUNDS - No refunds can be given on partial payments.
- DEADLINES - You can take as long as you want to make each payment. There are no deadlines. You will never forfeit any money to me. But if you do not pay the full invoice in 12 months after receiving it and the hat you purchased goes up in price in my shop I will increase the total of your invoice to match. The price will not go up if you pay within 12 months. My goal here is to keep people from trying to use this service to lock in cheaper prices and cash in later.
- TIMING - The reason I can be so flexible with all of this is because I will not start actually ordering the supplies for your hat or making it until I receive and clear the last payment. It can 2-8 weeks for me to make your hat after I receive that final payment so if you are using a payment plan but you want your hat by a certain time you need to work all that into your calculations. And if you need help figuring it out just contact me and ask!
- GENERAL - My goal is to get your item to you in a timely, convenient, and safe manner. Of course I cannot guarantee what will happen once your hat is shipped though. If there are any problems after your item is shipped you can let me know and I will see if I can help on my end, but there is only so much I can do.
- THE UNITED STATES - All hats shipped in the United States are sent USPS Priority Mail Express. This service includes a tracking number but does not necessarily include sufficient shipping insurance to cover a lost or damaged hat. Please contact me if you want to upgrade your shipping insurance.
- INTERNATIONAL - All hats shipped outside the United States (including Canada) are sent USPS Priority Mail International. This service includes tracking, but the tracking may not include information about what happens after the package leaves the United States depending on the country it is being sent to. This service does not necessarily include sufficient shipping insurance to cover a lost or damaged hat. Please contact me if you want to upgrade your shipping insurance.
- Please note I will not lie on the customs forms by saying your item is a "gift" or writing down less than the hat is worth. If caught I can face big fines as well as other penalties that will make it harder, or even impossible, to operate my business in the future.
- My shipping prices may include more than just the price to ship the item. Packaging (such as boxes, tape, and labels) as well as fees leveraged by my shop platform may also be included.
Refunds and Exchanges
- FULL REFUNDS – Total refunds will ONLY be given due to a fault in the actual handiwork of the craft, meaning that I sent you something that is clearly damaged or falling apart as a direct result of poor craftsmanship or some kind of failure in the creation process. Sometimes though I will make special exceptions so please contact me with your problems and concerns.
- I do take photos of most of my hats before shipping them.
- I do take photos of most of my hats before shipping them.
- SIZING - Returns and exchanges will not be issued for orders where the customer provided incorrect sizing information. Customers should contact me with any questions about sizing and provide me as much information as possible at checkout (including a note of the measured numerical size of your head). Sometimes special exceptions will be mad here as well so please contact me.
- COLORING - Not all monitors and electronic devices display colors in the same way. While I do my best to accurately depict the item's color in my photos there may be some discrepancy. If the item you receive is a different shade/color in person then you thought it was based on the posted photos and you want to return the item please contact me. I may allow an exchange or store credit.
- HANDMADE SPECIFICS - Each item I make is made entirely by hand. There is also some randomness to the wet-felting process. This means that the items I sell will be very similar (but not an exact copy) of what is pictured in each listing. I cannot make two pieces that are exactly alike. Differences in appearance, unless they are due to a failure in the crafting process, are not grounds of a refund. But if it is very different than you thought it would be contact me and maybe we can work something out.
- SHIPPING DAMAGES AND LOSSES – Refunds will not be given due to damage or loss during shipping. This includes the package being damaged during transit or damaged, stolen, or lost after it arrives at your door. While I will do everything I can to help you locate your package should it become lost in transit I ultimately have no control over the package when it leaves my hands. If you are concerned about the safety of your package please contact me about purchasing additional shipping insurance.
- EXCHANGE SHIPPING - If an exchange is to be made the customer is responsible for paying the shipping for the item they are returning and the shipping of the new item that will be sent out to them. An invoice for the shipping will be sent and no new items will be shipped until the invoice is paid.
- REFUND TIMING - Full monetary refunds will be issued 1-3 business days after the returned product is received or as stipulated in any agreements reached by the customer and the shop owner. It may take several more days for the refund to appear in your bank or on your credit card depending on your banking institution's own policy (which I have no control over).
- EXCHANGE TIMING - If an exchange is being made I will not make or ship the new item until I receive the old undamaged and unaltered item (unless stipulated). I will let you know how long it will take for the new item to be made and shipped. It can take as long as two months in some cases depending on the complexity of the item and the number of open orders I have.
- FAIR WARNING - DO NOT SIMPLY RETURN YOUR ITEM WITHOUT FIRST CONTACTING ME. Items sent back to me without my consent may be held without refund, return, or exchange or may simply be sent back without alteration, repair, refund, credit, or exchange using the least expensive shipping method possible.
Free Reblocking Program
- WHAT IT IS - There are ways to take care of your hat so it holds its shape longer but eventually over time your hat may lose some of its shape. But don't worry. With my free re-blocking program all you have to do is send me your hat and I will re-shape it and spray it with a new coating of shellac. It will look as good as new! All you need to do is pay for shipping.
- WHAT IT DOESN’T COVER - If your hat is a very complex custom order it may not be eligible for re-blocking (though I will let you know when you buy it if that's the case). Also I do not repair damage to the hat such as holes, burns, spills, or anything like that. Also if you spray your hat with NeverWet or some other kind of weatherproofing agent or chemical I will not be able to reshape your hat. If you have concerns though let me walk you through it. Just contact me.
- COMPLETE COLLAPSE - Even if your hat has been completely flattened for some reason I might be able to restore it to its proper shape. Contact me and I will tell you what I can do.
- WHAT IS A CUSTOM ORDER - A "custom order" that fits into this policy specifically has to do with hats that are of unique shapes not offered in my shop. Hats with unique silhouette designs are also in this category. Hats with unique colorways or solid colors, or hats with minor embellishments are not in this category.
- PLEASE READ CAREFULLY - Custom hat orders can be tricky and as a result I will strictly abide by the policies set down here.
- DESCRIBE IT - Though I have made many hats this does not mean I have any special insight into the specific hat design you have in mind. It is up to you to give me as many details as possible. Photos and drawings can really help too.
- THINK TWICE - If you tell me that you want me to use my own judgment, to put my own spin on it, or to otherwise exercise my creativity I urge you to consider carefully what you are asking. There is risk in granting another person creative control. Often people have at least some sense of what they want and it is better to think carefully and tell me what you want rather than risk me making a hat that you might not like.
- ONE HAT RULE - Each custom order represents a single hat. This means that when you have given me the full hat description and we have agreed that I can begin I will make you one hat. A second hat (a second attempt) will not be made. If you have forgotten to mention some details and your hat does not have those details this rule is still in force. If you do not like my creative decisions after telling me to use my own judgment this rule is still in force.
- KNOW THE RISK - This is a creative process. That means that I will likely not be able to produce the exact hat you have envisioned. I will do my best based on the information you give me and the limitations of the felting process. But ultimately you as the customer are taking a creative and financial risk by ordering a custom hat. As mentioned, I will attempt to make your hat only once. Any creative dissatisfaction you have with the hat will not be enough of a reason for me to redo the hat or issue any sort of recompense.
- NO REFUNDS/EXCHANGES/SECOND CHANCES - Because this hat is being made according to your own specific designs and specifications I will be unable to accept the hat for refund, exchange, or store credit. Some exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis, especially if there is some evidence that there was a failure in the craftsmanship of the hat, so please contact me if you have any concerns or questions. Otherwise this is a permanent transaction, so proceed with caution.
- REPAIR AND REBLOCKING - Your hat may not be eligible for my free re-blocking program depending on the complexity of the hat. Repairs may also be especially difficult if your hat is especially complex. Please contact me if you have any problems along these lines and I will tell you if I can do anything to restore your hat and what the next step would be.
- CONTACT BOX - The contact box on this website is linked directly to my e-mail account. Any message you send will be received quickly and I will get back to you as soon as I am able.
- SPECIAL NOTES - If you have a special concern about your order please send me a message about it. Do not assume that I will see it in the "special instructions" box on your PayPal payment. I always respond to special notes to let you know I saw them.
Privacy and Confidentiality
- CUSTOMER INFORMATION - When you purchase from me I may be given your name, your e-mail address, your street address, a phone number, and an account name. I will not share this information with anyone for any reason (except to comply with law enforcement of course). But I also cannot guarantee the complete confidentiality of that information (someone at the Post Office, for example, will see your name and address).
- WHAT I DON'T RECEIVE - I do not receive any specific payment information about you when you buy from me (such as a bank account number or credit card number). That is all handled through the payment platform that you use.
- PAYMENT PLATFORMS - This website is setup to use PayPal and Square. Please refer to the policies of those companies for how they handle your data and what forms of payment they accept. I will not accept any money from you outside of these platforms as they have safeguards built in for both buyers and sellers.
- WHAT I DO WITH DATA - I may keep your name, address, and related information on file in case there are any problems with your order. While I will not share this data I cannot fully guarantee confidentiality in a world overrun with hackers and meanies. I will not send you any unsolicited e-mails including newsletters or advertisements, nor will I give your e-mail to anyone else except to comply with law enforcement.
Wholesale and Consignment
- I do not do consignment of any kind.
- If you are interested in wholesale I only do 75/25 deals, and you must buy at least three hats at a time. Strict I know, but I do all this by hand. I am not a manufacturer trying to play a numbers game.
- All rights reserved. My work (including the posted photos) may not be reproduced, modified, commercially use, re-used, copied, edited, published, transmitted or uploaded in any way without the prior written consent of the photographer, agencies or persons concerned.
- All my work is under copyright registration and covered under copyright protection by http://www.freecopyrightregistration.com/ and http://www.safecreative.org/
- You are welcome to share my work, as long as you ALWAYS make reference to Felt Wicked Art, my shop, or one of my social media platforms.